Kiosk Guides for Learning
Where there is no guidance, a people falls,
but in an
abundance of counselors there is safety.
Proverbs XI 14
Lab safety guidelines
General rules of conduct in the use of labs in a school environment:
Please note that all school and laboratory rules
- Work in the lab only when the teacher or lab instructor/supervisor
is present or when you have permission to do so;
- Ask for and familiarize yourself with all manuals, resources and
guidelines for working in your school's laboratories.
safe work procedures, chemical safety information, laboratory equipment
safety information and links to other resources. If you have any
questions in preparation, do not hesitate to ask for updated or missing
- Learn the location and proper usage of the
fire extinguisher, safety shower, fire alarm box, office intercom
button, evacuation routes, cleanup brush and dust pan, glass/chemical
disposal can and any additional safety equipment including evacuation
- Report all accidents regardless of how minor to your teacher or lab
instructor/supervisor including contact with chemicals and minor burns,
- Keep a focus on your projects and experiments;
do not play, joke,
or engage in behavior that could lead to injury of
yourself or others.
- Before beginning work in lab, prepare yourself with a thorough
understanding of the instructions, objectives of the experiment, and
understanding of the materials
- Begin with a clean work surface with your instructions clearly
posted and available; have a clear, clean work space and eliminate
unnecessary books, book bags, equipment, etc.
- Use goggles and lab aprons as instructed;
clothing and avoid loose fitting garments that can cause spills as well
as open-toed footwear or sandals
- Use care when accessing or transporting stock chemicals and only
- Use equipment only as directed;
- View the contents of experiments
from the side;
never directly into an experiment as in a test tube.
- Carefully smell experiments using your hand to "fan" the odor or
fumes towards you and only when instructed to do so. Never directly
above or in the container.
- Never taste or ingest chemicals or materials in the lab;
bring food, drink and gum etc. into the lab area;
- Return all lab materials and equipment to their proper places after
use as instructed; clean your lab space as instructed by your teacher or